About Me

Friday, January 02, 2009

Little girls

I am learning a lot about little girls - since I am trying to raise 3 of them. Being a mother is - BY FAR - the hardest thing I've ever attempted. Not because of the potty training, non-sleeping baby, the many trips to the doctor, the constant struggle with messy rooms and messy faces and baths, and all the cooking and cleaning and such - although all of that is hard. It's because of the many, many emotions that swirl around inside a girls head ALL the time. Little girls are more like little enigmas - it's really impossible to figure out what to do with them.

My little girl is 8 1/2 now. But 8 1/2 nowadays is more like 10 1/2 was back in my day (like I'm SO old). She is growing up so much faster than I did - at least it seems that way. She is asking questions I don't have answers to, and is worried all the time about everything. Did we worry that much when we were kids? Sometimes I worry that her worry is a result of my worry. - wow - that's a lot of worry!

I'm realizing today that there really are just a few things that she needs on a daily basis. Here are some of the things I think she needs from me and her dad:
  • She needs to feel loved
  • She needs to feel safe
  • She needs to feel beautiful (I don't know why this is - but it seems to be true of all girls.)

It sounds so simple, right? Yeah - not so much. This mothering thing is the most gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, hair-pulling, crazy hard thing ever in life. Each day I wake up terrified that I'm gonna screw up - and each night I lay there praying I'll do better the next day. There are wonderful moments sprinkled in, but most of the time - it's just trial and error. I hate that. Each day is a new adventure - we are truly taking it one day at a time.

I've decided to start a mom's support group - for moms of school-aged girls. I figure there's strength in numbers - right?

I'm also on the search for books and resources to help me in parenting my three girls. If there are any books or other resources that have helped you - please let me know.

No comments: