About Me

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holy, Holy, Holy

Currently I'm reading the book, "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan. I'm only in the first chapter so far, but must say that I'm already in love with the book. I actually had to read the preface twice - that must be the mark of a good book. Anyway, last night I read something that I really enjoyed. Here's a snippit:

"God is holy. A lot of people say that whatever you believe about God is fine, so long as you are sincere. But that is comparable to describing your friend in one instance as a three-hundred pound sumo wrestler and in another a s a five-foot-two, ninety-pound gymnast. No matter how sincere you are in your explanations, both descriptions of your friend simply cannot be true.
The preposterous part about our doing this to God is that He already has a name, an identity. We don't get to decide who God is. God said to Moses, 'I am who I am'. We don't change that.
To say that God is holy is to say that He is set apart, distinct from us. And because of His set apart-ness, there is no way we can ever fathom all of who He is. To the Jews, saying something three times demonstrated its perfection, so to call God 'Holy, Holy, Holy' is to say that He is perfectly set apart, with nothing and no one to compare Him to. That is what it means to be 'holy'."

I LOVE the sumo-wrestling friend analogy. We don't get to decide who God is. He already is. We can learn who He is to a certain degree. And despite my seemingly constant state of confusion about what He's going to do next, I am grateful that I will never fully understand God. If God were able to be fully understood, what kind of God would that be? I enjoy the big-ness of God - the fact that His ways are not my ways. But that He is bigger than I know, more powerful than I could dream of, He is beyond my wildest imaginations - that's the God I love!
I'm reminded of an old children's song at this moment. I know it's a little silly - but there is so much truth in the words of the song. Come on, sing it with me now:
"My God is so BIG!, so strong and so mighty - there's nothing my God cannot do! "

I'm believing God's BIG-ness today!

No comments: