About Me

Thursday, September 11, 2008

A little dose of perspective

Well, I was supposed to go to Beaumont this weekend to lead worship for a Marriage conference. Due to the mandatory evacuation, it was cancelled. Bummer. I found myself more disappointed than I would have expected this morning. I was really looking forward to it. Again, bummer.

But - I suppose it's time for a little perspective. Over 300,000 people have been ordered to leave their homes, some with no place at all to go. They will spend more time in traffic in the next 24 hours than I have in the last 24 days (maybe months). They will have no idea what they will come back home to - or even when they will come back home. I suppose that my cancelled weekend plans are not really that big of a deal.

I'm feeling very sad and scared for those who are on the coast today. I couldn't imagine having to pack up so quickly and leave. How would I explain it to my kids? I have a hard enough time when there is a small threat of a tornado - and I have to get my kids in to the bathtub. I try so hard to remain calm and assure them that everything will be ok - when I'm actually pretty scared myself. I cannot imagine the parents who are having to explain to their kids that they have to leave everything behind and basically run away from the hurricane. I am praying for them today - the parents. The mommies and daddies with little kids that are scared and confused. I pray that God gives them strength and comfort - that they will know what to say to their children. That God will keep them all safe in their travel and bring them back home again soon.

No comments: