About Me

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back 2 School Rally 2008

I just realized that I never gave a final evaluation/recap of the Back 2 School Rally. It was Saturday, August 16th (almost 2 weeks ago). Here are a few cool things:
  • We gave out over 160 school supply packs
  • We gave out 71 door prizes (including backpacks, lunch bags, gift cards, etc.)
  • We had over 50 volunteers serve at the event, and at least 20 more that helped prepare for it.
  • We had a wonderful response from the community - both businesses and individuals.
  • We were able to donate almost 50 school supply packs to Watauga Elementary on Monday following the event (what was left over)
  • Pastor Elias shared the Gospel in both spanish and english to the crowd - very cool!

I think that this event was a new turning point for our church - so many people were able to serve in ways they might not have before. They were able to be a part of meeting real needs in the community. I think that our church is beginning to understand Servant Evangelism - and is getting excited about being a part of it.

On a personal note: I would just like to say, that I am so grateful to have been able to be a part of this event. When we first talked about it almost a year ago - I could not have anticipated how much our church would really get involved and own it. FBC Watauga really stepped up for this one. I was impressed at how many people supported the event financially - and also the ones that volunteered (especially those that helped with all the pre-event stuff). I would just like to say a huge thanks to my cohort Charly - who was involved on every level of this thing from start to finish, to the Davidson family - who helped every step of the way (in the icky heat many times), to Theresa - who was responsible for the haircutters (a huge part of the event) and many other details, to all those who gave us ideas, to all those that gave us money and backpacks and supplies, and to all those who gave of their time in volunteering at the event! We could not have done any of it without all of you - I am honored to serve alongside each of you. I am so very proud to call you all my friends - and my family. Thanks again!!

No comments: