About Me

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Compass Rocks

I've decided that Compass Rocks.
Hey, but don't take my word for it. Come see it for yourself. We're launching in January.
Can't wait 'til January? Me neither. That's why we're having Preview Services in November and December.
Still too anxious to wait? Me too. So we're planning a pre-launch, see what we're about, worship and fellowship together service in mid-October and one in a few weeks, too!

Cool, huh? I'm so excited - and I just can't hide it. Okay, maybe I should save the 80's lyrics for another time - sorry. But really - I AM excited. For a number of reasons. Here are a couple:

1) Our message is authentic & relevant. Really. I mean it. I know that churches are always talking about relevance. But how many talk about authenticity? At Compass - you'll find the real deal. We are who we say we are. We really DO love people. We really DO want to help you with REAL life situations. We really are committed to kindness and compassion. I can't wait for you to come check it out in person (you can only learn so much from a website).
2) Our music is different. On purpose. I'm so excited to report that the kind of music that you would normally hear at a "contemporary" church in our area - you won't in ours. Our music is not only rockin' - it is in words that the normal person can understand. You won't hear too much "church language" in our music. There's a reason for that. There is a huge amount of people in our area that have never been to church. They don't understand the lingo that most churches use on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong. Those words are important to me too. I love to sing songs that talk about the worthiness and holiness and magnificence of God - but if you've never been to church before - chances are that you don't. Compass Church wants to connect with those people. We want to help them connect with who God is. We also want to make sure that our music is not boring. God isn't boring. God hates boring. Why shouldn't we sing to Him in a way that echoes back the creativity that He models for us? God is not contained, defined, or limited - neither should our music be.

Would you like a little sample of the stuff we play at Compass? Some of the music you'll hear is music from The Benjamin Gate, Newsboys, Starfield, Tree 63, Jennifer Knapp, Switchfoot, Lifehouse, Planet Shakers, the David Crowder Band, Hoobastank, Coldplay, Audio Adrenaline, Rock N Roll Worship Circus, Gavin Degraw, and anything else that we can honor God with (which, by the way, is a pretty big selection of songs).

Check out our website. Check out our pastor's blog. Check back often. So much is going on - I hope you'll stay in touch.

No comments: