About Me

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Growing Pains

My daughter, who just turned five yesterday, woke up this morning complaining about an aching leg. I told her that it was just growing pains (although it was probably just that she slept funny) and that because she is five now, she must be getting bigger. She asked if that meant she would need to go to work like Mommy and Daddy.
Isn't it funny that she thought that because she was getting bigger - she must already be "big". I tried to explain to her that there was much more growth that needed to happen before she needed to get to work. She asked if there were some things she could do now. "Of course" I told her - she can do chores and feed the cat. There are lots of things she is ready to do now - the size that she is.
I wonder if that applies to me? Just because I'm growing doesn't mean I'm ready for everything God has in store for me just yet. But I AM able to do SOME things. I just need to make sure that He is the One deciding what I am able to do - and not me. I also hope that I am able to do those things He's entrusted me with as enthusiastically as my daughter does her chores. She is so excited to be able to do things for me - hoping to make me proud. She never thinks about the things she is not able to do yet - because she considers it a privilege to do things I let her do. God is so much smarter than I am - he knows what I'm ready for and what I'm not. I need to remember that it is such an incredible privilege to get to do the things He allows me to do. He obviously doesn't need me. I'm not THAT important. But how great it is to be invited to be in on the God things that are happening around me.

No comments: