About Me

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Sunday Song Devotions - June 6, 2010

We Will Glorify
"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows." - James 1:17

Author: Twila Paris

We will glorify the King of kings
We will glorify the Lamb
We will glorify the Lord of lords
Who is the Great I Am

Lord Jehovah reigns in majesty
We will bow before His throne
We will worship Him in righteousness
We will worship Him alone

The following is from the book, "Open the Eyes of My Heart" devotional book by Integrity:

"Thomas Aquinas taught that God is pure act.  In other words, whatever God is, God does.  It is impossible for God's acts to be inconsistent with His character.  For example, we may be patient people but have impatient moments.  Not God.  The great "I Am" is consistent, always the same.  So we glorify our King, our Lord, the Lamb, worshiping Him alone because we can rely on Him 100 percent of the time.

No burden or need exists that His character can't meet.  He doesn't have days off or suddenly decide to treat us differently.  In fact, He is able to do much more than we could ever think or ask. 

When we need a loving parent, Hw is our "Abba" Father (Romans 8:15)
When we're feeling insecure, He is a "sure foundation" (Isaiah 28:16)
When we're thirsty, He is our "spring" of living water (John 4:14)
When we're vulnerable, He is able to "keep us from falling" (Jude 24)
When we're lost, He is our "light" and our "salvation" (Psalm 27:1)

We get into trouble when we try to meet our needs ourselves!  When we focus on God's amazing sufficiency, we find more than enough.  He wants to fill us to overflowing.  Thank God for being your great "I AM".  He alone deserves your worship!"

All Hail the Power of Jesus' Name
11"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." - Revelation 4:11
Author: Edward Perronet, 1726-1792.  Altered by John Rippon, 1751-1836

This hymn is often called the "National Anthem of Christendom."  The hymn first appeared in the November, 1779, issue of the Gospel Magazine, edited by Augustus Toplady, author of "Rock of Ages".  This text has been translated into almost every language where Christianity is known; and wherever it is sung, it communicates to the spiritual needs of human hearts.  One writer has said, "So long as there are Christians on earth, it will continue to be sung; and after that, in heaven."

Edward Perronet was born at Sudnridge, Kent, England, in 1726.  He was a descendant of a distinguished French Huguenot family who had fled to Switzerland and later to england because of religious persecution in France.  Edward's father, a pastor in the State Church of England, was strongly sympathetic with the evangelical movement spearheaded by the Wesleys and George Whitefield.  Edward, too, became a minister in the Anglican Church but was always critical of its ways.  Once he wrote, "I was born and I am likely to die in the tottering communion of the Church of England, but I despise her nonsense."  Soon, however, he broke from the Church and threw himself strenuously into the evangelistic endeavors of the Wesleys during the 1740s and 1750s.  It was during this time that the Wesleys and their followers suffered much persecution and even violence from those who disagreed with their ministry.  Eventually, Perronet's strong-mindedness and free spirit caused a break with the Wesleys.  Perronet continued to the end of his days as pastor of an independent church in Canterbury, England.

His last words have also become classic:

     Glory to God in the height of His divinity!
     Glory to God in the depth of His humanity!
     Glory to God in His all-sufficiency!
     Into His hands I commend my spirit.

Many interesting accounts have been associated with the use of this hymn.  One of the most remarkable is a story told by E.P. Scott, a pioneer missionary to India.  One day he was waylaid by a murderous band of tribesmen who were closing in on him with spears.  On impulse the missionary took his violin out of his luggage and began to play and sing this hymn.  When he reached the stanza "let every kindred, every tribe," he saw to his surprise every spear lowered and many of these tribesmen moved to tears.  Scott spent the remaining years of his life preaching and ministering God's love and redemption to these people. 

Glory to God Forever
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; 9persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.  We always carry around in our body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be revealed in our body.  For we who are alive are always being given over to death for Jesus' sake, so that his life may be revealed in our mortal body. - 2 Corinthians 4:8-11

Author: Steve Fee, Vicky Beeching

This song reminds me that no matter what we go through in life, be it financial issues, loss of a loved one, divorce, health problems that our life is to bring glory to God regardless.  I have personally had moments in the midst of great difficulties and incredible pain where I didn't know how in the world it would bring God glory, but have had to say "Glory to God anyway!"  I heard a wonderful sermon a few months back titled, "Hallelujah Anyway".  The message was simple, that no matter what comes at you in life, whether good, bad, painful, difficult or devastating - there is only one response that is always appropriate - to worship and praise Him anyway - to say "Hallelujah Anyway!".
I think that this song has a very strong message to that effect.  I love the words of the bridge:

Take my life and let it be all for You and for Your glory
Take my life and let it be Yours!

I sincerely want that to be my constant prayer to God - to take me and use me in any way that will bring Him the most glory.  Like Paul, who was poured out as a drink offering to the Almighty or like Jeremiah, who was called the weeping prophet because he spent his entire life proclaiming a message no one wanted to hear.  Like Abraham, who was willing to kill his own son as an offering of worship to His God.  Or like Esther who gave up her family, her name, her safety and all she had known in order to save God's people by sharing a bed with the one who could have destroyed them all!  We all have different life circumstances, different difficulties, different hurts and sorrows - but we also all have one purpose here on this earth - to glorify the LORD our Maker!

I am reminded of another song that I find to be a beautiful anthem of surrender and worship.  It's called Bring the Rain, by Mercy Me.  The lyrics are below.  I pray that this becomes your anthem today.  No matter what you are going through.  You can decide right now that God's glory is more important than your comfort or peace or freedom.  Sing these words to God in an act of surrender.  God is worthy of glory - not just despite our circumstances, but right in the middle of them!

I can count a million times people asking me how I
Can praise You with all that I've gone through
The question just amazes me - Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord, My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times

So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace, Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings You glory
And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to praise You
Jesus, bring the rain

I am Yours regardless of the dark clouds that may loom above
Because You are much greater than my pain
You who made a way for me by suffering Your destiny
So tell me what's a little rain

So I pray

Holy, holy, holy
Is the Lord God Almighty

No comments: