About Me

Monday, April 27, 2009

Toothpaste or Strawberries?

Okay, so this morning I was sitting on the couch drinking my tea and watching Rachel Ray (for the first time in forever!) while keeping an eye on the kids. Well, Maya walks up to me with a tube of toothpaste in her hands smiling ear to ear. Not wanting her to get it all over herself (or my floor), I took it away and set it on the table next to me just out of her reach. She completely lost it! She is just learning to throw fits, and this one was a doozy. She threw herself onto the floor and cried and cried. Everytime I tried to give her something to distract her, she'd push it away and cry harder. I couldn't help but laugh. (I know, I'm a wonderful mother :)
I just kept thinking...toothpaste? really? That's what you want? I even tried offering her some strawberries (her favorite) and she wouldn't have it. It was toothpaste or bust!

I started thinking about all the times I've done that to God. How many times have I cried over the "toothpaste" that I couldn't live without when God had juicy, red, wonderful strawberries He wanted to give me if I'd just stop crying over the lost toothpaste!

I wonder if God laughs at me the way I did Maya. Probably so.

What about you? Are you crying over toothpaste, or waiting for the strawberries?

2 comments:

Lynelle said...

I am drinking a DP right now. Don't know how that fits the analogy though. sorry :) But really -- I am probably both...just depends on the subject.

Trina said...

LOOOOVE that analogy!!! It is funny what we throw fits over. How great to see it as a parent, just like our heavenly father sees it in us!