About Me

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Life Is War

Guest Blogger: Sandra McCurdy

John Piper in Let the Nations Be Glad wrote:

Probably the number one reason why prayer malfunctions in the hands of believers is that we try to turn a wartime walkie-talkie into a domestic intercom. Until you know that life is war, you cannot know what prayer is for. Prayer is for the accomplishment of a wartime mission.

This was very convicting for me. I’ve been in places where spiritual warfare was blatant, bold, and very much out in the open. Prayer was critical to the outcome every time and yet, I fall back so easily into complacency using my conversation with God, as Piper writes, “…not to call in fire power for conflict with a mortal enemy, but to ask for more comforts in the den.” (p. 46)

Why am I so complacent when the battle is raging around me? Why am I satisfied with asking for things that will make me comfortable when those around me are falling in battle?

In Ephesians 6 we are told to “Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.”

It’s time to start acting like we are in a battle. Our comrades are falling all around us. We need to be vigilant. We need to be ready. We need to see with spiritual eyes. We need to stay in close contact with our Commander. We certainly don’t need to be afraid or confused because our leader is supreme.

In Nehemiah 4:14, Nehemiah tells the people, “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives, and your homes.”

Forgive my complacency, Lord. You have called me to be a part of your army and I haven’t been a good soldier. Please renew my heart. Set my mind on things above, not on earthly things. Help me to be strong in you Lord and in Your mighty power. Help me to be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

--Sandra

No comments: