About Me

Friday, September 16, 2005

Leverage

I read a post today from Jason Berggren who has made a recent announcement about changing careers to pursue his passion. Here is a paragraph:

"Truth be told, the thought that in 10 years I could be looking in the mirror wondering why I didn’t try to pursue my passion more aggressively also haunts me. We have one life. Let me say that once again. We have one life. One life to leverage all that we can to make a difference with all that we have."
The above paragraph - especially the last sentence - really hit home with me. Not because I am realizing that there is something more that I am supposed to be doing - but because I'm doing it now. My entire life up to this point has been preparing me to do what I'm doing now. I am absolutely certain that God has put me in the place that I am "for such a time as this". (I've been really taken with the story of Ruth lately - incredible story - you should check it out.)
The underlying passion throughout my life has been music. I'm pretty sure I couldn't survive without it. Over the last 3 years (especially this last one) I've been learning how to worship through music. Really worship. When I'm worshiping in that way it's like I'm doing what I was always meant to - like it's the reason I was created - and that I'm preparing for eternity when I'm singing to God in worship. I am constantly amazed at how much I'm learning in the middle of this ministry. I am just SO honored to be a part of it. I don't understand why God has allowed me this opportunity - but I am definitely going to give it everything I have - for as long as He lets me do it (forever would be fine with me).
I've also never felt this sense of urgency before - that if I don't tell them about Christ - no one will! My husband and I prayed last night that God would give us scripture to pray for the people of Roanoke - we were drawn to the story of John the Baptist and the calling of the first disciples. When God said, "follow me" - they immediately did. Not because He looked cool, but because they already knew who He was and when He came to town they were ready to give their lives to Him. John the Baptist came first. To tell them. There was something different about him. He was wild and obviously passionate. He was constantly saying "I am not the Christ - but I can tell you that He's coming - and you won't believe how wonderful He is!" That's my passion right now. I want to connect with the people of Roanoke in such a way that they will know that I have passion - that there is something different about me. That there's something different about Compass.
I have gone off on a tangent - I know. Here's one last verse from Jason's blog. At Compass we've come across this verse a few times in the last few months - it's really meaningful to me.
“And in this I give advice: It is to your advantage not only to be doing what you began and were desiring to do a year ago; but now you also must complete the doing of it; that as there was a readiness to desire it, so there also may be a completion out of what you have. For if there is first a willing mind, it is accepted according to what one has, and not according to what he does not have.” 2 Corinthians 8:10-12

No comments: